Hello Volume! How to create Rose Byrne’s Big Hair as seen in Manhattan magazine
Rose Byrne is putting voluminous hair back in the spotlight after baring some flesh for Manhattan magazine. (Check out Manhattan magazines digital edition online to read Rose’s feature.)
Us girls, we know we like big hair, even if it’s of the minimal kind. When poker straight do’s are all of a sudden in mode, there’s still a little ground work under those sleek tresses where hairstylists have gotten busy with a fine toothed comb and a little hairspray. Without volume, hair can look pretty limp and lifeless.
So if you’re like me, and love loud and proud big hair, here are your go-to essentials to make it happen:
1. Start by washing your hair with a volume shampoo and conditioner. By doing so you’re targeting your strands with a solution that eliminates too much slip and slide when you depart from your shower. Shampoos and conditioners labelled with “smooth and sleek” should be avoided at all costs, for obvious reasons. Moroccan Oil Extra Volume Shampoo and Conditioner is a great choice to start the big hair process.
2. Once you get out of the shower, towel dry your hair. Now take Toni & Guy Casual Sea Salt Texturising Spray and spritz through all your strands from root to tip, approximately 30cm away. This will allow for grit, texture and volume to occur throughout the blow dry phase.
3. Before you switch your blow dryer on, grab Garnier Fructis Style Sleek and Shine Blow Dry Perfector. Apply to the lengths of your hair, avoid anywhere near the scalp. This product helps to speed up the blow dry time as well as leaving you with manageable volume that has been treated with TLC (argan oil), so that later on your hair will look more Rose Byrne (above) and less primate. Winning!
4. Turn on your hair dryer. I recommend standing with your head faced down so that your strands are in front of your face. Point the nozzle of your hair dryer at the roots, this will give extreme volume. Eventually work your way down the strands as your dry, all the while keep standing with your head facing downwards.
5. Now when you flip your hair up you are going to have crazy big hair. Tame any frizz with a wide barrel brush and your hair dryer on full ball. Once all streamlined to perfection, take Schwarzkopf Instant Volume Powder. Tap a little of this magical powder at the roots of your hair wherever you need more volume. I’d suggest at the crown of the head for best results. Once applied message in with the tips of your fingers until the powder can’t be seen, but you can feel built up volume that’s quit stiff and won’t dare slip anytime soon!
6. If you still want more volume (and wow, you’re brave!) take a fine tooth comb and gently tease at the roots of your hair at the top of your crown. Once you have your desired height, take Fudge Membrane Gas. It offers flexible hold, but I can best describe it as hair putty in a hairspray formulation. When it meets with the hair strand, it really doesn’t move, ever… well, until you wash your hair next that is!
7. To complete your look, gently brush hair into the style you desire. For the most sophisticated look, comb hair over any roughed up sections to create the illusion of big hair – minus any telltale signs of teasing. Finally spray all over with Toni & Guy Casual Flexible Hold Hairspray for a smooth finish.