Winter Makeup Master Class: Nutrient Rich Products That Give a Silky Matte Finish
Just when you think you’ve got your makeup routine down pat, seasons change (as they do!) and you have to reacess exactly what your skin needs to look its best.
Winter is one of those tricky months. Yous skin is crying out for moisture due to the harsh environment, but at the same time a matte finish is where it’s at – the complete opposite of glowy summer skin.
To help you out, and make your next makeup shopping trip that little bit easier, here are some key products you will need in your beauty kit for the coming three months that will keep skin supple and smooth – as well as matte’tastic!
I’ve also decided to split this master class up into two categories: Section 1. for Liquid Foundation Lovers, Section 2. for Mineral Makeup Devotees.
Without keeping you waiting any longer, here are your winter must-haves:
Winter Makeup for Liquid Foundation Lovers:
One word. Bourjois. The very accessible beauty brand has been making-up faces since 1863 in Paris. Today, they still have many female fans due to their revolutionary ideas and ability to make females look naturally beautiful.
Their new Healthy Mix collection offers a go-to winter range that helps infuse skin with much needed nutrients, as well as provide an even balanced skin tone.
1. Start by pumping Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation into the palm of your hand. If you prefer to use your fingers when applying your foundation make sure they are clean, then start blending down and out across the planes of your face. If you like to use a makeup brush, do the same and buff away any lines for a seamless finish.
This lightweight foundation contains lychee, goji and pomegranate, which work to erase signs of fatigue and achieve a revived and even complexion. I know that in winter, my face tends to look extremely tired from lack of sunlight and sleep. These key ingredients brighten your face and give off the impression that you’ve had a mid-winter tropical vacay. ($32)
2. Now take Bourjouis Healthy Mix Correcting Concealer. The packaging looks a lot like a lip gloss dispenser, which was a totally smart decision because its super easy to squirt out the right amount of concealer.
Dab onto any grey zones (inner corner of the eyes, under-eye bags) and dot under your nose and on any imperfections.This concealer is so easy to blend, and when layered over the above foundation, you can’t tell where the concealer starts and finishes – this makes for a beautiful blotch-free complexion.
The concealer contains raspberry, apricot and a melon enriched formula (sounds like a fruit-salad right?) that work to brighten, regulate and stimulate micro-circulation. ($24)
3. Lastly, to keep your skin looking fabulous all day thanks to a velvety matte-finish, sweep Bourjois Healthy Balance Compact Powder over your T-zone (forehead, nose, chin).
The compact’s formula and texture means it can be worn all day and provide a radiant no-shine look. Key ingredients that allow your skin to remain free of oil are sharon fruit (a.k.a persimmon, which just sayin’, is delish!) while yuzu (a japanese sour mandarin)helps to purify. ($20)
Winter Makeup for Mineral Powder Devotees:
If you jumped onto the mineral makeup band wagon way back in 2007, then you’ll be happy to know that this skincare/makeup trend is still going strong.
The fabulous thing about mineral makeup is that it’s naturally matte in consistency. All the tiny ground-up particles, when buffed together, make for a clean, natural looking face. The mineral powder also helps to soak up any of your natural oils on your T-zone, and the color of the mineral powder takes on a similar hue to your real skin tone when buffed correctly.
1. Conceal blemishes first. That’s right! When using mineral powders, it’s best to conceal any red areas or blemishes at the start, so that when you buff on your powder is sets your creamy concealer. If you start with powder first, then use concealer you will end up with muddy little patches all over your face as the process has been done backwards, making the powder move.
Maybelline Coverstick Corrector Concealer is great for quickly fixing skin imperfections. It’s also available in green and yellow. Green corrects red skin discolourations such as birthmarks and scars, and yellow neutralises blue/black skin imperfections such as dark circles, bruises and pigmentation spots. ($10.50)
2. Buff baby! Take the inclosed kabuki brush from Maybelline New York’s Mineral Powder Foundation pack, or alternatively use one of your own large, dome-shaped, bristled brushes and apply a little pressure to the planes of your face with circular motions. The powder will blend with your skin’s oils easily and provide an opaque finish.
Maybelline’s mineral powder is made from mica, zinc oxide as well as bismuth oxychloride air-infused micro-powders to reduce redness and soften skin, it also has pro-vitamin B5, vitamin E, aloe, chamomile and SPF15 to condition and protect skin.
The formula is free of talcs, waxes, fragrances and preservatives and is non-irritating, breathable and doesn’t clog pores. ($24.50)
That’s it folks! I hope this helps you find the perfect new beauty buys when looking to achieve a soft, velvety-matte complexion this winter.