Sarah What Beauty How-To: Get My Glam Evening Makeup Look
Hello my gorgeous girls!
My favourite makeup look of all time is definitely an ‘evening glam’ smokey eye and red lip combo. Nothing packs a punch quite like a bright cherry red lipstick paired with long fluttery eyelashes that reveal deep chocolatey brown eyelids once you sensually glance down.
I’ve been wearing this look for years, and because I wear it to almost all of my evening events, I’ve worked out the best products to achieve this look without any room for error – and we love that!
All of the below products have a few things in common. They are affordable, they are long wear, they are sexy and they are all readily available in Australia.
Read on below to find out what these secret and very sexy products are, and of course follow my step-by-step guide so that you can bat your lashes and smooch your lips in style this coming weekend too!
1) Illamasqua Skinbase Foundation $41, 2) M.A.C Pro Longwear Concealer $32, 3) Benefit Dandelion Blush $51, 4) Face Of Australia High Definition Eyebrow Kit $9.45, 5) Maybelline New York Color Tattoo Eyeshadow $11.95, 6) Becca Ultimate Eye Colour Quad $40, 7) Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner $23.95, 8) Covergirl Flamed Out Mascara $14.95, 9) Ardell Natural Demi Eyelashes $7.95, 10) Loreal Paris Infallible 2-Step Longwear Lipstick $23.95.
1. Start with a freshly cleansed and primed face. Take Illamasqua’s Skinbase foundation and warm in the palm of your hand. This foundation is perfect to wear at night as it’s flash-resistant, meaning that if any photos are taken of you while wearing this foundation, you won’t appear to have a white ghost face as it doesn’t contain any spf. YAY! This foundation offers great coverage so almost all of your blemishes and pigmentations will disappear magically.
2. Grab M.A.C’s Pro Longwear Concealer and dot it below your eyes, around your nose, the centre of your chin and anywhere else that needs extra coverage. With a clean finger dab until it disappears and blends with your foundation. This concealer is one of the best I have ever tried. It dries really well and lasts all night without creasing.
3. Take Benefit’s Dandelion Blush (how cute is the packaging by the way?!) and swirl your favourite large blush brush in the compact until you have picked up enough pigment. Concentrate the colour on the apples of your cheeks and gently brush up and outwards to the centre of your ear. With blush, less if more, so build slowly until you reach your desired colour.
4. Brows! Eyebrows are big business at the moment so please don’t forget them! I have always used Young Bloods Brow Artiste Eyebrow Palette, but recently I started using Face Of Australia’s High Definition Eyebrow Kit which contains all of the same tools at a smidgen of the price. I’ve been using the pigmented brown gel to first create my arched shape, then setting the look with the lighter brown powder.
5. The next step is to prime your eyelids with a coloured gel eyeshadow that also acts as a glue for your upcoming eyeshadow powders. Use Maybelline’s Color Tattoo in Bad To The Bronze and blend all over your eyelid. This gel lasts 24 hours so it’s perfect for late nights. Don’t be too fussed with precision blending as you will soon be applying powders on top.
6. Open Becca’s Ultimate Eye Colour Quad in Eclipsed and find your trusty blending brush. Take the matte brown shade all over the bottom half of your eyelid. Next, pick up some colour from the darker more grey shade and blend into the eyelids crease. Now, use a clean brush and make sure to carefully blend out so there are no harsh lines. With a clean finger apply the lightest colour in the palette ( a creamy shimmery ivory) to your eyebrows arch and to the inner corner of your eye, this will help to open them up. With your blending brush that still has dark shadow on the bristles, sweep under the lower eyelashes to help smudge and bring together the over all look.
8. It’s now time to create super long, fluttery eyelashes. I look for any excuse to wear false eyelashes (because they look so pretty and 90% of the time elevate most makeup looks) and any night time occasion will do! Take Ardell’s amazing Natural Demi eyelashes in 109 Black. These lashes are the perfect length and don’t look too fake. This pack also comes with long lasting glue, so don’t worry about running out and buying Duo’s Lash Grip. I use Smiink’s Eyelash Tweezers to apply mine – I don’t even bother attempting to apply fake eyelashes with my clumpy fingers alone – way too frustrating! How can you enjoy a nice glass of bubbly when your cheeks are glowing with rage and your eyelashes are all clumped together with so much eyelash glue from too many failed attempts – buy these tweezers, you will have no more woes! You may need to reline your upper eyeliner at this point incase eyelash glue has ruined your cat eye flick.
9. Now to make sure your real eyelashes match the shape of your falsies! Twist open Covergirl’s Flamed Out Mascara, it really helps to create a voluminous winged out look. By applying just the teeniest amount of mascara, both sets of lashes will join together so that your eyelashes look gorgeous but completely natural!
10. Lastly, and most importantly, you want that loud super gorgeous plump pout. A night out on the town calls for long wear lippy. You can’t look past Loreal Paris 2-Step Long Wear Lipstick in 506 Red Infallible. First paint your top and bottom lip in this bold matte cheery red. Leave to dry for 1 minute. Your lips will feel tight at this point and in need of instant hydration. Follow up with the moisturising balm stick on the opposite end of the wand and smooch your lips together giving them a good pucker. Instantly your lips will be perfectly lacquered and feeling their best yet! This bright red stain will last all night, and best of all, it won’t stain any wine glasses. Horrah!
That’s it my honeys! But, here’s one last tip to help your makeup last even longer. Spray Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray onto your face, at about 20 cms away. It helps set your makeup for 16 hours straight and comes in a tiny little spray bottle. The formula isn’t tested on animals, its paraben free and is dermatologist tested. A lot of my friends have been using hair spray up until this point to set their makeup, but now I’ve got them on to this – a much friendly option!
I hope you all have a fabulous Easter weekend!