How To: Make Gut-Friendly, Korean Kimchi Burgers For A Healthy Digestive System + Flat Stomach
Just because summer has said goodbye for another year, doesn’t mean you have to give up the fight for a lean, flat stomach. If anything, this is the perfect time to get to work on your fitness because you won’t suffer from FOMO when you’re at the gym. All of your buddies will no longer be at the beach, they will be cuddling up at home watching midday movies.
Aside from FOMO no longer being an issue, it’s skinny-jean season – the best time to watch your body transform. Every time you slip into your beloved denim, you’ll be able to physically see the difference in your tum by how your pants fit – it won’t come down to a number on a scale!
Getting a flat stomach comes down to two, very obvious, things. What you put in your mouth, and what exercise you are doing.
If you’re hitting the gym and making sure to participate in exercises that engage your core like yoga, pilates and any resistance work (these will help to define your stomach and give you abs) the next thing to look at is your diet.
One way to supercharge your diet for fast results is to see if you’re eating enough healthy-gut foods. ‘Gut foods’ are fermented and contain probiotics (good bacteria) that keep your digestive system roaring, hence allowing for better fat-burn and a lean stomach that isn’t bloated.
Some popular gut-foods that I regularly eat/drink include:
- Beauty powders (I love the Beauty Chef’s Glow Inner Beauty Powder)
- Pickled proserves
- Greek yogurt
- Sourdough bread
- and lastly Kimchi – the star of this entire post!
Kimchi is a spicy, fermented pickle that’s a Korean household favourite – just like how we grab tomato sauce, they always pull Kimchi from out of the fridge (a much healthier option!).
Kimchi is created by allowing lactic acids to ferment cabbage and other vegetables in a jar, to later be eaten as a side dish (like gherkins or pickled onions) or used as an flavourful ingredient in so many meals. It’s packed with good-gut bacteria helping to slim the stomach. It’s also loaded with vitamin C.
I picked up a jar of kimchi from About Life for around $8. I decided to make kimchi burgers – the result was amazing and so delicious. I actually didn’t expect to enjoy them as much as I did!
If you want to make kimchi burger patties at home, follow this simple recipe.
What you’ll need:
- 3 tablespoons of kimchi chopped
- 500g minced protein (try pork, turkey, chicken or beef)
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 diced onion
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 1 egg
- Vegetable or olive oil to heat in pan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place your mince, egg, cornflour and salt and pepper in a bowl and combine with clean hands.
- Add in the kimchi, parsley, onion and garlic and combine until evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Seperate, roll and flatten your patties before setting aside on a tray.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook each patty for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until properly golden and cooked through. You don’t want to see any pinkness on the inside.
- Once cooked, place on a tray to serve with buns (you could skip carbs altogether and wrap your patty in a lettuce cup), lettuce, extra kimchi if you like, diced tomato, coriander and cucumber.
Have you tried kimchi before? Do you like the taste? What foods do you eat for a flat stomach? Let me know below!